Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support Banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re a Member or Descendant of a Federally Recognized American Indian or Alaska Native Tribe


Members of the 567 federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Native Tribes and their descendants are eligible for services provided by the Indian Health Service (IHS).

You can visit the IHS page to find an Indian Health Service, Tribal, or Urban Indian Health Program facility and search by “behavioral health facilities.”

Additionally, you can find a Youth Regional Treatment Center that provides care for American Indian and Alaska Native teens who misuse drugs or alcohol. These centers integrate traditional healing, spiritual values, and cultural identification into their treatment programs.

If you need to talk to someone right away, you can contact the Native Crisis Text Line by texting “NATIVE” to 741741.

You can also:

  • If you’re comfortable, ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated