Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on Iowa's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


IA Health Link, Iowa's Medicaid program, is managed by two Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) with their own network of providers. You don’t need a referral to see a behavioral health professional, and your primary care provider (PCP) can help figure out what help is right for you. You simply call and make an appointment once you find a provider through your specific MCO health plan. 

If you're part of the Amerigroup MCO, you can search for Amerigroup directory for a health care professional or call Amerigroup Iowa, Inc Member Services at 800-600-4441.

If you're part of Iowa Total Care MCO, you can search for Iowa Total Care directory for a behavioral health provider or call 1-833-404-1061 for help.

If your child is part of HAWKi, you can search for a behavioral health provider or facility.

Learn about the types of providers

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated