Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on Maine's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


If you're part of MaineCare, Maine's Medicaid program, you have access to services for mental health, drug, and alcohol issues. Some services may require approval by MaineCare, called Prior Authorization (PA). Talk with your primary care provider (PCP) or call MaineCare Member Services at 1-800-977-6740 for help. Check with the provider if MaineCare covers the service you need before your first visit. 

You can also find help in finding services and providers at your local district office or call the HelpLine at 1-800-965-7476 if you have questions about what is covered by MaineCare and CHIP. Learn about the types of providers

If you have questions about what is covered by MaineCare and CHIP, you may call the Consumer Assistance Helpline at 1-800-965-7476.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated