Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on Minnesota's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


If you're part of Medical Assistance (MA) (Minnesota's Medicaid program), you must go to providers in your health plan's network for most services. Contact your specific health plan and ask if you need a referral before you see a provider or ask for help to find a provider. You can find the number on the back of your health plan card or use the provider directory your health plan mailed to you. You can call Health Care Consumer Support at 651-297-3862 or 800-657-3672 for help. 

If you are not a health plan member, you can go to any provider who accepts Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP) fee-for-service coverage. You can search MHCP Provider Directory, for those who accept MHCP including Medical Assistance, Minnesota Family Planning Program and other programs. Check with the provider to be sure they are accepting new patients and MHCP coverage before your first visit.

Learn more about the types of providers

You can also contact your county or tribal human services office for assistance.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated