Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on North Dakota's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


You may need prior authorization from North Dakota Medicaid, called Prior Authorization, before receiving some services. The North Dakota's Department of Health has a list of mental health, drug, alcohol programs across the state that provide free or low-cost services. Learn more about the types of providers.

North Dakota's Department of Health and Human Services has a Mental Health Program Directory to search for mental health professionals, including an option to search for professionals who provide care through telehealth (online or on the phone).

Each regional human service center in North Dakota's Health and Human Services offers walk-in Behavioral Health Assessments. Individuals can walk-in without an appointment and tell staff they want to be assessed for a behavioral health need. They then meet with a triage specialist and are connected to services. You can find your regional office for location and hours for assistance.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated