Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on Tennessee's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


TennCare is the state of Tennessee’s Medicaid program and covers benefits such as mental health services that are administered by Optum. Tennessee's Medicaid program has a list of mental health, drug, and alcohol programs across the state that provide free or low-cost services. You can also call 855-HERE4TN (855-437-3486) to get information. Not all health care professionals will accept Medicaid, so make sure to ask about coverage and costs. Members should present their health plan card to the mental health professional when seeking care.

If you're part of a Managed Care Organization (MCO) health plan, you can search the provider directory for the type of health care professional you would like to see. Learn more about the types of providers. To find out if your health care professional takes TennCare, contact your MCO. The name of your MCO health plan can be found on your TennCare Card.

Most CoverKids services are offered through MCOs. MCOs are responsible for helping to manage and coordinate the care that members receive. If your child is on CoverKids, check your MCO's in-network specialists and providers.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated