Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support Banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You Don’t Have Insurance


Even without insurance, there are ways to get help.

  • If you’re comfortable, ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend if they know any health care professionals or programs that offer free or low-cost care.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • Try your state mental health and substance use agency for information on how to get treatment for people without insurance.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Try contacting your county or state mental health and substance use agency–they often have resources to help.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • If you have a job and are not using insurance they offer, ask your employers' human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you served in the military, see what VA mental health and substance use services are available–even if you don’t use VA health care.
  • If you’re a member of a federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Native Tribes or their descendants, you can look for services provided by the Indian Health Service (IHS).
  • Learn more about Medicaid or buying health insurance.
Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated