Mono Bar
Main page content
Find Support Banner

Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You Have Private Insurance You Buy Directly


Visit your health insurance plan’s website and look for a section to find a doctor. You can also call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.

You will be responsible for any co-pays, coinsurance, or deductibles that your plan has–just like going to the doctor for your physical health. Learn about health insurance costs (PDF | 1.6 MB).

  • If you’re comfortable, ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.

You can also: 

Last Updated
Last Updated: 04/24/2023
Last Updated